Monday, January 19, 2015

The Winner's Curse Book Review *no spoilers*

I picked up this book at my library after hearing Sophia from thebookbasement raving about it.

What is this book that I'm speaking of?

Well, you already know.

The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkowski.


I cannot pin point what genre this book is. Some say fantasy others label it as historical fiction. I don't really know, but what I can tell you is that The Winner's Curse it freaking good.

In fact, I cannot recall any cons (wait, one. The end felt rushed). But, I really liked everything about this book such as:

  • The main character, Kestral. I love that she is not only a "strong" female protagonist, but she has flaws and feelings too. The thing that bothers me when people say x is such a strong female character is that yes, they are strong, but there are other characteristics that these "strong" women have and that makes them human. I love Kestral because she represents a true human and she's not some one-sided character.
  • Arin. He and Kestral play off each other so well. They are so complimentary. I really like how Arin can be so hostile (I don't blame him), yet he can be so warm. Warm like hot chocolate. Yes, hot chocolate. I love hot chocolate. I love Arin. Ah.
  • The concept. It's an interesting story line. I, for one, had never read a book about a fictional world where people own slaves. Perhaps that is why some call it historical fiction. 
  • Gushy and mushy moments. They make me melt and giddy. They make me believe that love still exists. Whoa, getting to far now. I should stop.
  • The end! Oh how I want to read the sequel. It left off in such a wait-what-I-want-to-know-more type state. 
I'm a slow reader. When I tell you that I read this book fast for my normal pace, you would know that this was an interesting read that won't disappoint.

5 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. we've been hunting for good reads and recommendations!! we really need to get back into reading.

    M + K

    ReplyDelete